1. ---- Must I wait here all morning? I have a lot of work to do.
---- No, you _________. You may be back in the afternoon.
2. The girl in the classroom ___________ be Sarah. She has gone to the library.
3. He looks sleepy. He ___________ have gone to bed very late last night.
4. ---- Lisa, _________ you speak French?
---- Yes, but only a little.
5. ---- May I take my pet dog with me into the cinema?
---- The rule says no, so you ________.
6. ---- Linda, will you __________ finish your homework before eight o’clock this evening?
7. ---- The twin sisters said their parents ____________ meet them at 10:30 at the train station.
8. I __________ not go to his party if I am not invited.
9. It’s getting dark. _______ I turn on the light?
10. When Tim was 16, he was a fast runner. He _______ run 100 meters in 11 seconds.
1. The law says that drivers can’t drive after drinking.
2. His luggage is still here. He must not have left.
3. I used to writing poetry myself when I was his age.
4. If you may go, at least wait until the storm is over.
5. You mustn’t finish the work now. There’s plenty of time.
6. I promised that I should do my best.
7. ---- Mum, I have broken my bike.
---- You shouldn’t ride on it.
8. He didn’t attend Jack’s wedding. If he was there, he would have witnessed all that.
9. If I was John, I would join the chess club.
10. You can’t be so careful to drive your car in the city now.
11. ---- Could i use your new book?
---- Of course you could.
12. My mother is out, so I must look after my little sister.
13. ---- Need I finish the task today?
---- No, you can’t.
14. Since the ground is white, it could have snowed.
15. It has been announced that students should remain in their seats until all the papers have been collected.
Tom _____ _______ work into the deep night everyday to earn a living.
______ you succeed!
If he _______ _______, everything _________ _________ all right.
If I __________ here, I might agree with you.
You ________ hand in your homework tomorrow, but you ________ hand it in by then.
You ______ _______ ________ tell him this matter.
Tell Jerry that he _____ _______ _______ ________ if he is nice.
Some birds _______ ________ ________ to the south when the weather turns cold.
Sam ______ _______ _______ answer these questions in Chinese.
You ______ _______ about your mother’s health. She feels better now than before.
1. ---- Mom, _______ I play football this afternoon?
---- Sure, but you _______ finish your homework first.
A. may, could B. can, must C. can, mustn’t D. may, can't
2. ---- Come and join us, Ben!
---- I’m afraid I can’t. I’m too busy now. If I ________ time, I would certainly go.
A. had B. will have C. have had D. have
3. ---- Mum, ______ I visit the Modern Art Museum next Monday?
---- I’m afraid you can’t. All the museums in this city are closed on Monday.
A. would B. need C. should D. may
4. If I ______ you, I _____ go there.
A. is, will B. is, would C. were, would D. was, will
5. ---- Must he sing the song in English?
---- No, he _____.
A. needn’t B. can’t C. mustn't
6. ---- Finally, they came back.
---- They _____ be hungry after such a long walk.
A. can’t B. must C. needn't
7. Harry’s been driving all day, he ______ be tired.
A. need B. can C. shall D. must
8. ---- Whose T-shirt is this?
----- It _____ be Tony’s. I am not sure.
9. ---- Jack, _____ you ride a bike?
----- Yes, I can.
A. can B. may C. need D. must
10. ---- Can I take it away?
---- You _____ better not.
A. should B. could C. would D. had
11. ---- Need we do the job now?
---- Yes. you _______.
A. should B. need C. must D. can
12. To everyone’s surprise, Tom _______ play chess very well when he was only four.
A. might B. should C. would D. could
13. ---- Susan has bought a large house with a swimming pool.
---- It _____ be very expensive. I never even dream about it.
A. must B. might C. can’t D. shouldn't
14. The yellow coat _______ be Linda’s, because nobody likes yellow except her.
A. can’t B. can C. mustn’t D. must
15. ---- Is Peter here yet?
---- Not yet, but he _______ be here soon. He is usually on time.
A. would B. could C. should D. must
16. The only thing that really matters to the children is how soon they ______ return to their school.
A. can B. must C. have to D. ought to
17. John, you _______ play with the knife, you _______ hurt yourself.
A. won’t, can’t B. can’t, shouldn’t C. shouldn’t, must D. mustn’t, may
18. ---- Will you go to the museum with me this afternoon?
---- Sorry, I _______. My aunt is coming to see me.
A. don’t B. can’t C. needn’t D. mustn't
19. Mary ______ his letter, otherwise she would have replied before now.
A. has received B. must receive C. couldn’t have received D. shouldn’t have received
20. I told Sally how to get here, but perhaps I ______ for her.
A. had to write it out B. must have written it out C. ought to write it out D. should have written it out
21. If he ________ how to swim, he would go to the beach every day.
A. know B. knows C. knew D. knowing
22. ---- ______ I swim here?
---- I’m sorry. Children ______ swim alone here.
A. Can, mustn’t B. May, must C. Must, can’t D. Can’t, can
23. The old man _____ live in a quiet room, but his house is very near to a busy street, so it _____ be quiet.
A. can, can B. should, mustn’t C. should, can’t D. can, must
24. We ______ keep the new traffic law and learn how to protect ourselves.
A. may B. should C. can D. need
25. All the passengers _____ wear seat belts on the plane.
A. can B. may C. will D. must
26. ---- Another cup of tea?
---- No, thanks. I ______ be off. Gina is waiting for me.
A. can B. must C. may D. might
27. ---- I can’t stop playing computer games.
---- For your health, my boy, I’m afraid you _______.
A. can B. may C. will D. have to
28. ---- My goodness! I’ve just missed the train.
---- That’s too bad. I am sure you _____ it, if you had hurried.
A. could have caught B. had caught C. would catch D. could catch
29. You ______ to the meeting this afternoon if you have something important to do.
A. needn’t to come B. don’t need come C. needn’t coming D. needn’t come
30. He did not pass the examination. As a good student, he ______.
A. mustn’t have failed B. may not have failed C. needn’t have failed D. shouldn’t have failed
31. He ______ you more help, but he was very busy.
A. might have given B. might give C. may have given D. may give
32. I searched for my wallet, but it wasn’t there. I thought I ____ it at home.
A. left B. have left C. might have left D. could have left
33. If it should rain in a few days, the crops ______.
A. can be saved B. will be saved C. would be saved D. could save
34. ---- Could you help me with my English?
A. could B. can C. must D. couldn't
35. If you were in better health now, we _____ let you do it.
A. will B. shall C. would D. can
1. ---- Could you please go shopping with me this afternoon?
---- Sorry, I ______. I have to take a piano lesson at 2:30 p.m.
A. couldn’t B. mustn’t C. can’t D. needn't
2. ---- What would you send to your sister as this Christmas gift?
---- I haven’t decided yet. I ______ send her a handbag.
A. shall B. may C. must D. can
3. ---- Must I answer this question in English?
A. must’t B. needn’t C. can’t D. shouldn't
4. Your shirt is rather dirty. _____ I wash it for you?
A. Do B. Will C. Must D. Shall
5. Need the doctor _____ with you tonight?
A. staying B. stay C. stays D. to stay
6. ---- Can I have this door open at night?
---- No, you _____.
A. should better not B. would better not C. had better not D. had not better
7. He ______ the work yesterday, but he didn’t.
A. must have finished B. need have finished C. finished D. should have finished
8. If I ______ not so busy, I ____ with you.
A. was, would go B. were, would go C. was, should D. were, will go
9. ---- What will the weather be like tomorrow?
---- It ____ be rainy, cloudy or sunny. Who knows?
A. must B. might C. shall D. should
10. ---- Must I clean the room now?
---- No, you ______. You can do it tomorrow.
A. can’t B. mustn’t C. don’t have to D. wouldn't
1. You ____ take me to the station. My brother’s taking me.
A. can’t B. mustn’t C. shouldn’t D. don’t have to
2. ---- What’s wrong with Judy? She has been absent for two days.
---- Oh, she ______ be ill. Let’s go to ask Mr. Green.
A. may B. need C. would
3. ---- What does Justin Beiber’s song Never Say Never impress you most?
---- It tells us that we ______ do almost anything if we never give up.
A. can B. have to C. should D. need
4. ---- Shall we take a car?
---- No, we _____. It’s only five minutes’s walk.
A. can’t B. mustn’t C. needn’t D. couldn’t
5. ---- I still haven’t found my pet dog.
---- I’m sorry to hear that. You _____ be very sad.
A. can B. should C. must D. will
6. The dictionary ____ be Li Lei’s. It has his name on it.
A. must B. can C. may
7. As middle school students, we _____ be afraid of difficulties if we want to make our dreams come true.
A. must B. shouldn’t C. need
8. ---- Many people play with mobile phones all day instead of reading books.
---- That’s too bad. Everyone _____ be a book lover.
A. may B. should C. would
9. ---- You ____ park here! Look at the sign. It says “No parking”.
---- Sorry, I didn’t notice that sign just now.
A. won’t B. needn’t C. mustn’t D. couldn't
10. ---- Is that man Mr. Smith?
---- It ______ be him. He has gone to New York on business.
A. may not B. needn’t C. can’t D. mustn't
11. Jenny finally got the job because she _____ speak English well.
A. might B. must C. could
12. If you wish, you ______ come in and have a cup of coffee.
A. may B. must C. would D. should
13. ---- I have been to the moon twice.
---- You _____ be joking! it’s impossible.
A. can B. may C. must D. need
14. ---- I forgot to bring my dictionary. Could I use yours?
---- Yes, you _______.
A. can B. must C. could D. should
15. After you read the article Why fast food is slowly killing you, you _____ stop eating fast food.
A. can B. may C. have to D. should
16. ---- ______ you leave now? You only arrived here an hour ago.
---- Sorry, but so much homework is waiting for me.
A. May B. Must C. Can D. Might
17. ---- Look, someone left a book.
---- Oh, yeah.... This book _____ be Kitty’s. Only she likes to read this kind of books.
A. can B. must C. may D. might
18. ---- _____ I know by what time you want the project to be done?
A. May, Can B. Must, Need C. Could, Must D. Need, Would
19. You can do lots of things in a science museum, but you ______ obey the rules.
A. can B. may C. have to
20. “Hate cannot drive out hate; only love _____ do that.” said Martin Luther King, Jr.
A. can B. must C. should
21. ---- Must we take out the trash now?
---- _____. You can do it after class.
A. Yes, you must B. No, you can’t C. Yes, you may D. No, you needn't
22. _____ I see your ID card, sir? We have to check your information.
A. May B. Must C. Should D. Need
23. ---- Honey, stay at home before I return.
---- I ______, Mum.
A. must B. can C. will D. should
24. In competitions, as in life, you ______ not always win.
A. may B. shall C. must
25. ______ you please sing us an English song?
A. Would B. May C. Shall D. Must
26. Drivers ______ wear the safety belt when driving. This is the traffic rule.
A. can B. may C. will D. must
27. ---- Whose shoes are these?
---- They _____ be Mike’s. They are much too large for him.
A. might B. may C. mustn’t D. can't
28. What would happen if he _______ back home?
A. go B. goes C. went
29. ---- Shall we take a taxi?
---- No, we ______ . It’s not far from here.
A. can’t B. mustn’t C. shouldn’t D. needn’t
30. School students ______ smoke because it is against the school rules.
A. needn’t B. couldn’t C. won’t D. mustn't
31. ---- Is Jim coming by train?
---- I’m not sure. He _______ drive his car.
A. must B. may C. need
32. Last year I _______ drive. I used to take the bus.
A. could B. couldn’t C. should D. shouldn't
33. Many students come from poor families and they ____ afford school lunches, so the government is trying to help them.
A. needn’t B. shouldn’t C. can’t D. mustn't
34. You ______ stop when the traffic light turns red.
A. can B. had better C. can’t D. must
35. With the help of the new technology, you ________ e-mail your friends by mobile phone.
A. can B. must C. need D. should